The best part of doing a school reading is the Q&A afterwards. There is nothing more inspiring to an author than inspiring future authors.
I recently did a reading to about 500 K-5th grade students.
Here are a few of their questions (and my answers):
- What inspired you to write the book? I loved being read to growing up. In 2006, I took a class at NYU about writing and illustrating children's books. If I were to choose one author who has inspired me, it would be Mo Willems. I can't get enough of that pigeon.
- Are you going to write more books? I hope so.
- Will your next book be about food? Maybe!
- What happens if Jelly wins? At the time of writing, Jelly is winning 56% to 44%. I have not decided when it's safe to declare a winner. And I need to think about who to lobby to change the sandwich name!
- When did you realize you were a talented writer? RIGHT. NOW. (!!)